General Discussions

• 1.  Administrative Check In

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 01-06-2022 12:33
    I am working on our P&Ps and and revisiting continuing review and administrative check in. I wanted to find out how everyone uses the administrative check in, maybe share some notification templates, time periods for exempt and expedited for check in, your policies on check in requirements, etc.... basically, all the things.  I am not exactly sure how the workflow with the administrative check in operates in cayuse or if I am using it correctly at all. I don't know how I want our process to look. I need a push.

------------------------------
    Angela Bain, CIP, CIM
    Director, IRB Office
    Kennesaw State University

• 2.  RE: Administrative Check In

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 01-07-2022 06:51
    Hi Angela,

We have been using the default template for administrative check-ins, with a reminder to close completed studies or submit incidents or modifications as needed, but are in the process of revising to provide guidance on creating a closure submission.

The basic workflow is:  upon approval the reviewer can set an administrative check-in date.   On this date the  notification message is sent.

That is really all that it does for now.  The study remains active, it does not expire since no expiration date was entered. We have found that we need to manually search for active studies that have already had one check-in to check with PIs on the status of the study.

I am hoping this process is revised on the Cayuse end to allow recurring check-ins, or to allow links in the notification to single click to close and automate the closure submission.

Matt Zembrzuski
    Research Compliance Manager
    American University

• 3.  RE: Administrative Check In

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 01-10-2022 06:46
    Thank you Matt,  Follow up questions: The system does not provide for setting a new administrative check-in after the initial one?  How far out do you set your initial check-in?  Is it different for exempt and expedited studies? Do you ask or do you plan to ask investigators to submit a progress report at any point?  For studies that go on for several years, do you have or have you had a policy to re-review the project at all?  My former institution had policies requiring progress reports and, in some cases, re-review.  I have been wondering about whether I should consider the same for my new institution.  I'm not sure I ever felt that those things provided much added value so seeing what others do is helpful.  If I did do a progress report, I have been thinking on how I would use Cayuse for that purpose.

Angela Bain, CIP, CIM
    Director, IRB Office

• 4.  RE: Administrative Check In

SPEAKER
    Posted 01-12-2022 11:14
    HI Angela, We use the Renewal submission form to provide the appropriate Renewal or check-in questions. We would like to see Cayuse have a separate process.  Screen shot below of the start for our renewal template. When there is no admin check-in or close out, I find that Institutional active total research study numbers will get over inflated.  We also have a substantial amount of student researchers in our SBER profile.

We have our policies set to administrative check-in every two years. For those studies not checking in we also just implemented a brand new addendum to our policy that allows for staff administrative closure after 90 days without response to admin check-in dates and emails. We are not re-reviewing; unless some other factor comes into play. -Hila

Hila Berger
    Director Research Compliance

• 5.  RE: Administrative Check In

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 01-13-2022 06:19
    This is very helpful, Hila.  Thank you.  I like this process a lot.  I think something like this would be a good fit for my institution, it's just enough to satisfy my concerns with minimal burden on the investigators.

Angela Bain, CIP, CIM
    Director, IRB Office