General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  summer salary

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-02-2022 07:56
    In the places I've worked, faculty summer pay has been capped - at different levels and, I think, for different reasons.  Clearly, there's the existential problem of "you can't be funded for more summer months than actually exist."  But I don't mean that.  Nor do I mean NSF's general practice (not actually a rule) of limiting summer salary to 2 months.

I'm referring to an internal-to-the-University decision to cap faculty summer salary.  Does every university do this?  Do you know of universities that do NOT do this?  If yours does, is it codified in policy or just one of those "we've always done it this way" things?

Right now, ours is capped in such a way that it sort-of-kind-of disincentivizes research.  Maybe.  I'm still in that stage of gathering thoughts and data and figuring out how best to support the faculty who want to undertake intense research in the summers....  So any input or thoughts or experiences would be useful.

Thank you, oh wise ones.

A

------------------------------
    Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 2.  RE: summer salary

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 03-02-2022 13:18
    Edited by Johanna Salazar 03-02-2022 13:19
    I was at Indiana University for many years and there were a couple ways summer salary was handled. It was dependent on teaching vs. research status and the standard amount available was 27.5% of their base salary assuming the faculty member could secure funding for it. In special cases, such as those with an administrative supplement that was designated for summer salary or those with enough external funding, the faculty member could request approval to fund at a full 32.5%. I have not handled summer salary for a few year, so it's possible the policy has changed, but I doubt it. I hope this is helpful.

Jo

Johanna Salazar
    Professional Services Consultant
    Cayuse

• 3.  RE: summer salary

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-04-2022 04:33
    Hi, Andrea!

I don't work in a university setting.  The IRB for our small-SBER institution is 13 members. Only 2 (Community and External) are paid, and only for the reviews they complete. They receive a standard rate of pay through the submission of time sheets for hours they spent on IRB-related activities:  review assignments, attending convened meetings and any training that may be offered throughout the calendar year.  As with most responses, I suspect every institution has their own human resource policy or procedures.  Sorry to not be of more help here.
    Dawn

Dawn Leusner
    IRB Manager
    Educational Testing Service
    Princeton, NJ 08541
    irb@ets.org