General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Hybrid Training Styles

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-07-2024 06:27

Happy Wednesday, everyone!!!

I have a general feedback question for all! I conduct a monthly "training" on desktop computer applications that we use every day, primarily the Microsoft Office Suite of applications. Not a deep dive or anything super technical, just some basics and then tips and tricks to try and make the work day a bit more manageable.

Anywho, we are currently only offering it in-person because 1) I was gauging exactly how this would look and 2) it's a very free-form setting, exchanging questions and experiences. There's a lot of moving back and forth, and the general flow is just not linear, which works fine when its a small team or group, but I'm expecting this to grow quite big if we offer a hybrid learning session, because we have a lot of people who work remotely. The bit of struggle is exactly how to make this hybrid, or offer a virtual option.

Currently, we hold the in person meeting, then I send a follow up email to our organization summarizing what we went over, including providing a couple of relevant and basic LinkedIn Learning courses. Without spending a chunk of time trying to put together what would essentially be LinkedIn Learning videos, but not as good, what are your thoughts on ways to make this style of learning more accessible?

Thank you!!

------------------------------
    Lyndal Arceneaux, MRA, CRA
    Sr. Proposal Administrator II, Team Lead
    Texas A&M University
    College Station, TX
    979-862-2465

• 2.  RE: Hybrid Training Styles

Posted 02-08-2024 05:57

Hi there!

I find its better to be all online or all in person, otherwise we struggle with rapport and dialogue. I hosted a few training sessions in person for computer applications and some people had trouble seeing and following along. I decided to host "open office hours" virtually and people could sign in as needed and had a lot of success. 

Brittany Roman
    IACUC Administrator
    Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine

• 3.  RE: Hybrid Training Styles

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-08-2024 07:01

Oh, open office hours is a great idea!!!

Texas A&M University
    College Station, TX
    979-862-2465

• 4.  RE: Hybrid Training Styles

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-08-2024 08:02

Hi Lyndal,

Our IT training team holds regular, interactive virtual classes on specific topics (using Excel functions, using Teams for collaboration, Word formatting, etc), shares the slidedecks afterwards, and can also be reached directly with questions (tho sometimes the answer is to attend another specific virtual training session to find out more).  We also subscribe to a service that has quick (by which I mean both brief and fast-paced) reviews of different elements of different applications. 

At a more basic level, I wonder if you could prepare some cheat sheets with screenshots for some of the more basic functions that you review, then post them somewhere easily accessible (you might need to still offer training in how to access them, depending on tech-savviness of the users ��) or just email them out?

Cheers,

Cheryl

• 5.  RE: Hybrid Training Styles

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-08-2024 07:04

Reference sheets is a great idea! Easy and quick enough to put together. Thanks, Cheryl!

Texas A&M University
    College Station, TX
    979-862-2465