General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Creating Data Dashboards with Microsoft Power BI

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 06-16-2022 14:02

I've seen a few discussions about reporting needs and data visibility - so I wanted to share what's possible with Microsoft Power BI and your research data in Cayuse. Once the connection (Personal Gateway or Enterprise Gateway) has been established between your local install of Power BI and the Cayuse Data, some really compelling, interactive dashboards can be created... which are shareable across Teams, Sharepoint, internal websites, etc. These data visualizations are also interactive, with "drill-down" options to see underlying details... for instance, which Researchers are within a department and what their individual cage counts are - compared in a second pie graph. 

Data Visualizations - created from Cayuse and Power BI

• Available Cage Space by Floor
    • Available Cage Space by Room
    • Census v. Allocation: PI
    • Census v. Allocation: DEPT
    • Census by DEPT
    • Allocation by DEPT
    • Cage Distribution: PROTOCOL

In Development

• Protocols exceeding Authorized Amounts
      • Due to standing orders and future request - this helps the procurement team be more proactive with contacting researchers to amend protocols to increase authorized animal numbers
    • Protocols approaching Expiration
    • Protocols stagnating in Review
      • Identifies protocols were notifications were missed and users are familiar with reviewing Cayuse dashboard for changes in protocol review status
    • Animal Facility Info
      • Quick Access to Biohazards, Adverse Conditions, Endpoint Criteria by using Room Number, Protocol Number, or Cage Card (assists weekend caregivers and vet care teams which are clinically assessing animals which aren't on their daily rounds/familiarity of their research)

------------------------------
    Evins Wardlaw
    Systems Analyst of Bioresources
    St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

• 2.  RE: Creating Data Dashboards with Microsoft Power BI

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 06-17-2022 10:26
    This is great, Evins, thank you for sharing this! I'm sure this will inspire a lot of folks to try and follow your model.

Simon Helton
    He/him
    Community Manager
    Cayuse

• 3.  RE: Creating Data Dashboards with Microsoft Power BI

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 06-20-2022 06:47
    This is really interesting, Evins. I'm going to look into this for Inventions. I may reach out to pick your brain on it.

Best, Jo

Johanna E. Salazar (hear name) 
    (she/her)
    Professional Business Consultant, Inventions
    Customer Delivery
    Cayuse | Cell: (317) 997-2289

Johanna Salazar
    Professional Services Consultant
    Cayuse

• 4.  RE: Creating Data Dashboards with Microsoft Power BI

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 08-16-2022 12:54

Sounds good. 

I just wanted to update that I've expanded the Data Visualization Dashboard to other areas like Vet Care. Creating easier ways to visualize trends in observed issues and deaths. The "Slicer Buttons" across the top allow the user to change the time period for the data... and the graph bars are interactive, allowing the user to "Drill Down" for further details of that dataset (example: I "drilled down" on the 28 cases from E5013 seen in the 30 day view). 

Evins Wardlaw

• 5.  RE: Creating Data Dashboards with Microsoft Power BI

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-14-2022 10:30
      |   view attached

To assist the Compliance Office & IACUC Committee - I created reports to show all of the "written-in" responses for when a protocol author had selected "Surgical Procedure - Other". Using the list, both groups could easily evaluate the most commonly "written-in" procedures, then decide how to add them to the Surgical Procedures list in an official manner. 

Evins Wardlaw

• 6.  RE: Creating Data Dashboards with Microsoft Power BI

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-14-2022 10:37

During Cayuse Connect 2022, Bruce Kennedy had inquired if there was a way to see review assignment task history for reviewers. I created several basic reports on that idea - but a lot more functionality could be added to that (i.e. Current Review assignments, Review Assignment caseload broken down by time period (years, quarters, months).

- "Protocol_Review_History_SingleReviewer.png" - Report shows the entire history of review tasks for a single reviewer
    - "Count_of_Protocol_Review_Assignments.png" - Report shows the entire summary count of review tasks assigned to all reviewers 

Evins Wardlaw

• 7.  RE: Creating Data Dashboards with Microsoft Power BI

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-17-2022 06:08

This is really showing some fun data collection.

Count of protocol review assignments provides some good info and with the ability to check/modify the date range you could pretty quickly show effort over time.

Very nicely done.

Guy Wiles
    Director, IACUC
    Augusta University

• 8.  RE: Creating Data Dashboards with Microsoft Power BI

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-17-2022 06:48
    Thanks so much for sharing these!  I know reporting and generating reports is a common request/concern for all of us so it's very helpful when others share what they've accomplished.

Lorraine Bell
    Research Program Manager
    University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus