General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Cayuse as a Direct Charge on Project? (Survey)

CAYUSE CHAMPION
    Posted 03-10-2023 10:51

Greetings!

Is anyone direct-charging all or a portion of Cayuse cost to a grant(s)? I'm guessing most institutions will charge Cayuse to a non-restricted fund and use the argument that indirect funding supports Cayuse (or they can actually tap indirect funds to support the cost, which I can't). Some implementation tools (like professional development, data capturing tools and software, memberships, etc.) designed to improve the operation of your project are, sometimes, an allowable direct charge, dependent on funder and project. I'm unsure where Cayuse falls here. 

I created a quick, 3-question (1-minute) survey to try and understand how people are funding products. It'd certainly help me out if you could submit a response. No identifiable information is requested.  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/53XKDKS

I can share the results back to this thread if we get them. 

Thanks and have a great weekend!

------------------------------
    Brian Boomer
    Director of Grants
    West Hills Community College District

• 2.  RE: Cayuse as a Direct Charge on Project? (Survey)

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-13-2023 11:19

Only sort of - and I wasn't super-comfortable with it.  OU, bless our collective hearts, would probably NEVER have gotten Fund Manager in a non-COVID world.  OU is quite risk-averse, and to be honest, this has served us well with decades of perfectly clean audits.  And the whole link to the system of record made people nervous.  Believe me when I tell you that I raised the "it doesn't write to Banner; it only reads from Banner" argument "once or twice" ;)  But when the university had to move to on-line everything over a weekend during COVID, Fund Manager was suddenly not such a far-fetched idea.  We used HEERF funds to pay for a little portion of the ramp-up for that.  The justification being that the work of the university could best and more safely be managed from people's spare bedrooms and home-offices with Cayuse than with a direct connection to Banner.  The ongoing. annual fee is managed from general revenue.  

So, "kind-of/sort-of, but not really" is my answer.

A

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University