General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Best traits for a leader of research office

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 03-14-2024 09:34

Leadership at my institution has asked staff to contribute to the job description for a newly-vacant position leading the research office at my mid-sized university. I have my own ideas, but what would be on your wish list?

• 2.  RE: Best traits for a leader of research office

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-15-2024 06:06

Is this an IO/VP of research level position or are we talking about a Director level for a department/Office?

What research Admin offices are they overseeing (IACUC, COI, EHS, Export Control, IRB)?

------------------------------
    Guy Wiles
    Director, IACUC
    Augusta University

• 3.  RE: Best traits for a leader of research office

Posted 03-15-2024 08:51

My apologies for not specifying this, Guy! This is a VP-level position that will oversee all of the research enterprise at the school, including "interdisciplinary research centers, strategic research initiatives, research infrastructure, core facilities and administration, compliance and regulatory environment, innovation and commercialization efforts." Does that help?

• 4.  RE: Best traits for a leader of research office

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-15-2024 10:02

It does help but it is probably going to make my answer less useful.  :P

Some things to consider when looking for a new research VP are:

Experience in working in a R2/R1 research institution or working to move an institution into R2/R1 status (if that is something your institution is interested in)

Strong communication skills and the ability to utilize information from multiple sources to create a direction and vision for the overall program.

Evidence of collaborative work at an institutional level

A research background that involved the use of animal and/or human subjects (preferably some of both)

evidence of program awareness and resource allocation to ensure success.  (you can't get grants or meet research needs if there is no infrastructure to be the work horses)

general knowledge of who the regulatory agencies are in the research setting since this role often serves as the point of contact for them.

That is all I can think of currently.

Guy Wiles
    Director, IACUC
    Augusta University