General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Analyst comments show who the analyst is

Posted 02-28-2024 10:21

We have had HE since last July. We just figured or this is new, that Analyst comments identify who the analyst is to the PI. Analyst comments are not anonymous like reviewer comments.  Lately analysts have been receiving direct emails outside of Cayuse, which does not document communications. It can also put a target on our back complicating the review process. Has anyone else noticed this as a potential issue?

------------------------------
    Tina Aubut
    Human Research Protections Assistant
    University of Southern Maine

• 2.  RE: Analyst comments show who the analyst is

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-28-2024 10:43

That is interesting, since from my understanding it is not supposed to have the actual name of the Analyst or Reviewer.  I am the only Analyst at our University and before we had Cayuse I actually had to send emails with all my comments so it was never anonymous for me.  It should definitely be anonymous for the Reviewer as they are making the decision unless it is being reviewed  by the Full Board.  You might want to submit a ticket to get confirmation from Cayuse to find out why this is happening.

Take care.

Leigh Schectman, MPH
    Research Protections Coordinator
    California Lutheran University
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    lschectman@callutheran.edu

• 3.  RE: Analyst comments show who the analyst is

Posted 02-28-2024 10:52

Analysts here can review determinations of human subject research and Exempt submissions. 

Tina Aubut
    Human Research Protections Assistant
    University of Southern Maine

• 4.  RE: Analyst comments show who the analyst is

Posted 02-29-2024 05:42

I noticed this too: researchers can see the analyst's name in the submission's Task History tab. I assumed is was working as intended. but I don't see what purpose it serves, and would rather they were anonymous. Like in publishing, anonymity doesn't just protect the reviewer/analyst, it also saves the author embarrassment should they interact with the reviewer in other situations. 

Mike Reay
    Manager, Human Research Protection Program
    Michigan Technological University

• 5.  RE: Analyst comments show who the analyst is

Posted 02-29-2024 06:30

Yes -- this is an issue for us too that researchers can see the analyst's name and associate it with their comments. I have noticed that it only seems to occur early in the review process; once a project has been assigned to a reviewer and then sent back to the study team I don't believe analyst names are viewable. Oftentimes during this phase of the review, study team members will indicate "two different reviewers made two different comments..." and they don't seem to indicate that it is the analyst that is one of the reviewers. However, when the project hasn't yet been classified into a category and assigned to a review, but sent back to the study team for comments in the pre-review stage, they seem to know which analyst is providing feedback. Would love to see this be changed from reflecting analyst names to simply 'analyst' in the same way it is for reviewers as a means of blind reviews and protection. 

Maureen Wawsczyk, MBA, CIP
    Research Integrity & Compliance Officer
    Ferris State University

• 6.  RE: Analyst comments show who the analyst is

Posted 02-29-2024 10:57

We haven't been able to track it that closely yet. But if analysts' names only appear at the Pre-Review stage, and disappear once a reviewer is assigned, that kind of sounds like a bug...

Mike Reay
    Manager, Human Research Protection Program
    Michigan Technological University

• 7.  RE: Analyst comments show who the analyst is

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 03-06-2024 15:22

Good evening everyone,

We have looked into the issue that has been reported, and the issue you are presenting here is a design that currently exists in the product. Currently, when an analyst does their action items, we log the transaction completed under submission history and also displays the analyst name under the comments that are visible to the research team.

We completely understand the issues this design brings over to your current business process. We have added a redesign on this area to reimplement in future versions of the product to solve the current concerns.

Thank you as always for sharing these type of issues with us.  

Jorge Alvarenga
    Senior Product Manager of Risk Management
    Cayuse
    jorge.alvarenga@cayuse.com