General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Administrative Level Review

Posted 03-21-2024 07:03

Hi Cayuse,

I love that an Administrative Level Review was implemented for things that weren't properly Expedited or Exempt reviews. However, I'm wondering why I'm only seeing the option to assign Board Members as reviewers, rather than the Administrative Staff like you can with Exempt Reviews? Was that an oversight, or am I not seeing something to toggle? It seems strange to me to require a Board Member to perform an Administrative review.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ann Larsen
    IRB Administrator
    Wills Eye Hospital

• 2.  RE: Administrative Level Review

Posted 03-22-2024 06:41

We added analyst staff as Institutional Review Board members for these types of reviews. We have a NR/NHSR form built in. And, as it happens, two of our analysts are qualified to review Exempt submissions. 

Tina Aubut
    Human Research Protections Assistant
    University of Southern Maine

• 3.  RE: Administrative Level Review

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 03-22-2024 14:50

Dear Ann,

We are glad this new function will be useful for your institution's business processes. We implemented this function intending to accommodate submissions that don't necessarily meet the qualifications for expedited, exempt, or full board review.

In regards to your question, you are correct. The feedback we have received is that there are times when board members vs. analysts need to review the IRB; because of this reason, we automated the process so that by default only board members would be an option for these cases. By doing this, we accommodate institutions that only need board member roles to process these types of reviews without the need to have an analyst role assigned to them. Many of the analyst users are also listed as IRB members.

Thank you for bringing up this question as we are always evaluating enhancements for future versions of Human Ethics.

Jorge Alvarenga
    Senior Product Manager of Risk Management
    Cayuse
    jorge.alvarenga@cayuse.com