General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Contracts vs. Grants

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 04-12-2022 11:19

Hi, everyone.....

I've seen this topic on some other lists, and it is something we are also examining again, so I'd love your input as well.

Do contracts get reviewed for approval by your sponsored programs office just like grant proposals or do they follow a different process?

We've had a lot of contracts that are treated the same as a grant proposal, but historically there have been some that didn't go through our office for reviews and approvals.  I was never able to get an answer as to why some were routed for review and approval, and others were not.  With recent personal changes, we've been running more through our office.

How do you handle contracts?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Pamela Vargas
    Director, Research & Grant Development
    Southeast Missouri State University

• 2.  RE: Contracts vs. Grants

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 04-12-2022 14:18

Hi Pamela,

Here at UC Irvine, contracts get reviewed by the sponsored programs office just like grant proposals. Typically, the same officer handles both contracts and grants, with some contracts (depending on the sponsor) going to a higher level "Principal Officer" if it's more complicated.

We have a separate office that handles contracts & grants with for-profit sponsors.

I hope that helps!

Jonathan

Jonathan Lew
    ERA Officer
    University of California, Irvine