General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Equity Initiatives

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 05-16-2022 06:00
    This is a question onion - feel free to address whatever part you can!

1. Has your office made progress toward advancing justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity initiatives?
    1a. If so, what has been implemented and why do you feel it has been successful?

2. Has your institution made any progress toward advancing justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity initiatives?
    2a. If so, what has been implemented?

3. What are some of your go-to resources for such topics?

------------------------------
    Augusta Isley
    Senior Proposal Manager
    Ball State University
    amwray@bsu.edu

• 2.  RE: Equity Initiatives

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 05-20-2022 10:53

Oh, goodness.... I was hoping that lots of people would jump in here because I wanted to "creatively repurpose" their ideas.  Alas....

Have we made progress?  No, probably not.  Not that we measure it either, so how would I know?  I do know two things.  One, inside The Research Office (of which OSP is only a part), we have jsut created a DEI Research Officer position.  I think her first focus is going to be on women and URM in research - perhaps with an eye to an NSF ADVANCE grant and perhaps some of the STEM-pipeline (a metaphor I really dislike) grants.  But that job is largely undefined as yet.  We're all just hoping that she grabs onto it hard and runs with it.  It could be so awesome.  And secondly, jsut within OSP, I have worked/am working to create a more just and inclusive hiring process.  It's not easy and I'll probably never know if it makes a difference or not.  But it's on my plate and I'm taking that seriously.

Does that help at all?

A

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 3.  RE: Equity Initiatives

Posted 05-20-2022 14:14
    Gallaudet is all over DEI in all kinds of ways.  I think we're pretty sensitive to the concept of inclusion as our deaf population doesn't typically come to mind to most when discussing DEI.  That doesn't mean we have achieved a whole lot, but we're trying.  There's all kinds of layers.  Just having vision statements and goals don't cut it. It's been a point of discussion for MANY years.  And there are still areas that don't get discussed.  I think they're in it for the long haul though.  There are trainings, a website, and an office dedicated to DEI.  Lots of redesigning and restructuring going on in the name of DEI.

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Assistant Dean for OSP + Research Svcs
    Gallaudet University