General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Pre-Proposals

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-08-2023 07:17

Hi, all!

I've asked about this in the past, but want to follow up again....

How do you handle pre-proposals in Cayuse?  Do you route them through Cayuse (if you are not submitting S2S)?  And then what do you do when a full proposal is submitted for the project?

What about when you do submit S2S.... does the full proposal end up being a new/additional proposal in the system?  And do you just tie the award to the full proposal and then show the pre-proposal as either not funded or some other status?

On the one hand, I hate to inflate our proposal numbers.  On the other hand, some preproposals are as much work as some of the full proposals.

Thanks!

Pam

------------------------------
    Pamela Vargas
    Director, Research & Grant Development
    Southeast Missouri State University

• 2.  RE: Pre-Proposals

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-09-2023 06:20

At OU, we only route preproposals that require institutional sign-off or where we have to include a detailed budget (and have to stick to it at full proposal, if invited). In 3.9, we're managing that with custom proposal types on our IPF. We have one for preproposal/white paper, and then another for preproposal invited for full submission.

I'm hoping that when we move to 4.0 and can generate projects without having to have an associated award, we might be able to do away with at least that second proposal type. In that mode, we'd create the preproposal and then, if it got invited for a full submission, we'd start a second record under that same project.

Michael Spires
    Research Development Officer
    Oakland University
    Rochester, MI
    (he/him)
    mspires@oakland.edu

• 3.  RE: Pre-Proposals

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-09-2023 07:45

I wish we could link pre-proposals and proposals in a way that feels more intuitive to, well, ME ;)  Alas.  If we need to route pre-proposals (which is only when there's a detailed budget), then we link the proposals when the pre-proposal is invited for full submission, or whatever the next step is.  It does inflate our numbers a little, but it also reflects real work that the office has undertaken, so I'm not opposed.  Perhaps it's accuracy rather than inflation.

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 4.  RE: Pre-Proposals

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-09-2023 08:10

Thanks, Andrea, and I agree... I wish we could link them as well.  And yep, we are on the same page on the intuitive thing, too, LOL.

Pam

Pamela Vargas
    Director, Research & Grant Development
    Southeast Missouri State University