General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Metrics

Posted 02-27-2023 09:05

Good morning!  The last time I posted something about metrics was nearly 2 years ago, and we were in the midst of a pandemic.  Now that we are perhaps post-pandemic, has anything changed?  I also thought that given some folks have moved to version 4, maybe your answers might be different.  Has version 4 had any impact on the ability or ease of collecting these or other metrics?  Below are some of the metrics that were mentioned a couple of years ago.    Do you have other metrics that are not included below that you use?   Is it easier/harder to collect metrics with/without Cayuse?  Thanks for your feedback.  -- alwf

• Success Rate: proposals funded divided by the sum of proposals funded and Proposals not funded 
    • Number of Failed Proposals
    • Percentage of research-active faculty/department (measured by grant awards)
    • Number of awards with human subjects
    • Time of Preparation to time of submission
    • Submission numbers per month with yearly comparison 

------------------------------
    [Audrey Wineglass] [Foster]
    [Director, Sponsored Programs]
    [Gallaudet University]
    [Washington] [DC]
    [202-651-5497]

• 2.  RE: Metrics

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-28-2023 04:53

We track a TON of things, and I am deeply mourning the loss of flags that we so relied on in 3.9.    As an emerging research institution,  one of the most important indicators of success is the number of research-active (grant-funded is really what I mean, here.  Those are different things) PIs.  Who's applying for the first award?  Who's applying outside of STEM?  Who's just received their first award?  The number of grant-funded PIs IS growing, but more slowly than I would have thought given the rapid increase in our awards.  Tracking boatloads of data points allows me to tell that story to senior administration.  Turns out, we also had a marked increase in the number of PIs managing multiple awards - which is new territory for this ERI.

Short story long, I guess.  But I love me some metrics ;)

A

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 3.  RE: Metrics

Posted 02-28-2023 05:29

Hello, Andrea!  So the flags are gone in version 4?  Did they replace it with some other function?  Was there a reason they got rid of it?

[Gallaudet University]
    [Washington] [DC]
    [202-651-5497]

• 4.  RE: Metrics

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-28-2023 06:07

We're just ramping up 4.0 now, but I'm told that flags are gone.  We do have a lot of ability to customize screens, so we can manually add some flag-like thing back in.  We're close to implementation.....  I'll keep you posted when I know more.

A

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 5.  RE: Metrics

Posted 02-28-2023 06:26

Thanks, Andrea!  I just might take you up on that. -- alwf