General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  iRIS Find a Protocol Application Find Options

Posted 12-16-2022 12:58

Hi. We are in the iRIS IRB Module and use the Find a Protocol, Application Find Options to find protocols with certain elements. For example, if I wanted to find all approved studies with children, I would set Protocol Status = Approved and add a Application Find Option for children that shows me all studies where children as subjects were indicated. This is handy in an audit situation or a quick look at the number of protocols out there with these elements.

I performed a search using the Application Find Option and it returned 71 studies. When I opened the submissions up one by one I found 5 studies did not have the item marked as the filter would indicate, resulting in an inaccurate report. So I submitted a support ticket to investigate why the report was producing inaccurate findings.

Here is the response I received from the iRIS/Cayuse support team: This is currently expected functionality. At some point or another one the versions of the application had that selected. So for example, TAMUCC-IRB-2021-0050 has that option selected in version 1.0 of the application. The report does not filter by the latest application but by all applications that belong to that study. 

Sure protocols could have an element selected and through an amendment change that answer. That is to be expected. However, when I use a search tool under Find a Protocol I would expect that it would pull the data from the most currently active application. This has also been my experience in a like feature in other software systems I have experience with such as Huron, InfoEd, etc. 

How does the Find a Protocol widget work in your system? Would you expect that the report pulled would only be on the most recently approved application? 

------------------------------
    Rebecca A Ballard
    Director, Research Compliance
    Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi

• 2.  RE: iRIS Find a Protocol Application Find Options

Posted 12-19-2022 05:27
    I agree that the search utility should only search for the most recently approved version of the application.  It makes no sense to search on older versions.

Barbara Legate
    Senior Business Systems Analyst
    University of Texas Health Science Center

• 3.  RE: iRIS Find a Protocol Application Find Options

Posted 02-22-2023 06:37

Latest information from support (Ticket #75845)

The search filter will look through all applications that exist in the system. Currently, there is not a way that will allow you to filter by only the latest version of the application. The reason why this works this way is because if this filter was only going to search by the latest version of the form then any older application that was being looked for would be omitted, which would lead to multiple audit issues. That is why a search condition that specifies what version of the form to search by does not exist. We will however reach out to our management team so they can consider a feature like the one described for future reference. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Jose

Response: If the Find a Protocol method is not the preferred way to perform this function as described above, then provide DETAILED instructions on how I can produce a report for EACH application filter I currently have in my Find a Protocol/Application Filter that would limit the reports to only currently active protocols. 

Per our conversation over zoom yesterday, we will be submitting this item to Bryan so that we can discuss and analyze if we will be able to make the change requested as this is not a function that is currently available in iris. We will have a follow up meeting to discuss our next steps regarding this item. In the meant time, we will set this ticket as solved and reopen only if it is determined that the change requested will take place.  Management is not making any changes.

So I'll pose the question to the group, how do you get accurate reports out of your iRIS system based on answers within the application if not through the Find a Protocol/application filter method?

Rebecca A Ballard
    Director, Research Compliance
    Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi