General Discussions

• 1.  Do you use Cayuse SP to manage internal awards?

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 03-29-2021 08:46
    Edited by System 04-21-2021 09:16
    Hi Everyone,

I posted this last week on our Post-Award channel, but I thought I would move it over
    to our larger audience here on General Discussion>

Cayuse SP customer 
    @Tom Piechota, PhD, PE of Chapman University is interested in
    using SP for internally-funded proposals and awards. We were chatting about how to
    best do that and decided to open up the discussion here on the Community!

With input from Sydney in our Customer Delivery team, based on what she's seen some SP
    customers do, we had suggested using ​the Proposal/Award Type dropdown list to add "Internal
    Funding" as an option. That way you could track both the proposal and later the award (it's a shared
    dropdown list). Do you use Cayuse SP to manage internal proposals and awards? ​How are you
    identifying them as such, for accurate reporting?

Thanks,

Matty

------------------------------
    Matty Gilreath
    Customer Success Manager
    Cayuse
    matty.gilreath@cayuse.com

• 2.  RE: Do you use Cayuse SP to manage internal awards?

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-30-2021 05:30
    Hello!
    Ball State does use SP to keep records of internal proposals and awards. We have both student and faculty opportunities through the "ASPIRE Internal Grant Program". We have our student assistant enter all the proposal information after the submission (the applications are actually submitted through a different system that does not route for approvals or ask for extra information), then only the faculty awards that request a course release are routed for departmental approvals. This cuts down on the administrative burden to the departments and colleges.

More recently (within the last 2 years), the new faculty start-up applications, through funding from the Office of the Provost, have been set up and routed in Cayuse SP.  The new faculty aren't actually onboarded at the time the proposal goes through for approvals, so the chairperson is set as the PI. Once the new faculty arrive and the personnel record is in Cayuse, we update our proposal record and create the award record. These awards are managed by our post-award team (also a newer process).

In both cases, we have a descriptive sponsor - "Aspire Junior Faculty" or "Provost Start-Up Package" (or whatever the appropriate program name is), all with Internal as the Sponsor Type and New Internal as the Proposal Type.

Augusta Isley
    Senior Proposal Manager
    Ball State University
    amwray@bsu.edu

• 3.  RE: Do you use Cayuse SP to manage internal awards?

Posted 03-31-2021 06:33

Hello All,

We do not use Cayuse to track internal awards.  OU has Digital Measures or I believe it has been re-branded as Activity Insight.  The PI has to enter those type of awards in that system manually.  Unfortunately this does make it a little more difficult to make sure they are getting a complete picture of a PI's activity for things such as tenure reviews, etc...

I do think by adding in the proper types, status, designations to indicate that this is an internal award, that it would work well to have them in Cayuse.

HTH

Jim Summers
    Data Manager
    University of Oklahoma

• 4.  RE: Do you use Cayuse SP to manage internal awards?

Posted 03-31-2021 07:54
    We do at Denver Health. We have a distinct instrument type for our internal grant submissions that differentiates the type for reporting purposes. Then we add the project coordinator as the Proposal Editor on each for visibility. That's the only real change to our regular routing process. The end user process mimics our external grant application process on purpose. Ours is a junior investigator funding, so we are engaging new researcher and we are try to normalize them to our research admin team and processes as part of this internal grant application process. Many of the recipients go on to apply for external funding, so we focus on providing exceptional customer service and onboarding them to all things research admin during this internal grant submission process. ​

Amanda Breeden
    Director, Department of Sponsored Programs & Research
    Denver Health and Hospital Authority

• 5.  RE: Do you use Cayuse SP to manage internal awards?

Posted 03-31-2021 07:57
    We also track unfunded human subjects research through a similar instrument type distinction. It's worked out lovely for our reporting (we're feeding data into Tableau) and providing a more well rounded picture of PI/Departmental research.

Amanda Breeden
    Director, Department of Sponsored Programs & Research
    Denver Health and Hospital Authority

• 6.  RE: Do you use Cayuse SP to manage internal awards?

Posted 03-30-2021 08:52
    Hello!
    I believe that using Cayuse SP to see internal research proposals and awards would be beneficial.  At the moment, we only have the external grant reporting and review, etc. but adding in the internal awards would help to see the whole picture of a PI's funds, etc.
    Also, if possible, being able to add notes or comments within the system so those who have access to these accounts can see information related to the fund that may not be seen or available in the report itself.
    This was a great question!
    Mary

Mary Burns
    Funds Manager
    University of Pennsylvania

• 7.  RE: Do you use Cayuse SP to manage internal awards?

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 04-05-2021 09:32

Great discussion and suggestions! Thank you all for sharing. I learned
    some nifty tips, and I am sure others did, too.

FYI: I was just on the phone with an SP customer in TX and this topic came up,
    so we both looked to this discussion for the latest comments (she had
    been following it last week, too).

If anyone else has more examples to share here, by all means let's keep this
    chat going!

Please feel free to reach out to Cayuse Support and/or your Cayuse Customer
    Success Manager to continue this dialogue and explore adding internally-funded
    grants to your Cayuse SP.

Thanks,

Matty

Matty Gilreath
    Customer Success Manager
    Cayuse
    matty.gilreath@cayuse.com

• 8.  RE: Do you use Cayuse SP to manage internal awards?

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 05-05-2021 06:01
    We use another non-Cayuse product for submission, tracking, and review processes of internal awards.  We wanted all internal applications (seed grants, undergraduate research grants, travel funding requests etc) to be submitted through a single Application Portal. All the internal grant funding programs listed on the portal and can be applied for on the portal and the review process also is managed through this product. Reviewers are assigned and rate proposals in the system.  We have kept external and internal awards separate since the sponsored research office is not responsible for implementing all the internal programs (nor wants to be!).  I was part of the implementation of that system/product.

Kris A. Monahan, Ph.D.
    Director Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance
    Providence College
    Providence, RI