General Discussions

• 1.  Umbrella IRB

Posted 01-11-2021 11:38
    Hi all:

I am wondering how institutions handle applications for approval of Umbrella IRB protocols generally and in the Cayuse platform. I'd be grateful for any example policies, processes or procedures.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Eileen Fry-Bowers
    Associate Provost for Research Administration
    University of San Diego

• 2.  RE: Umbrella IRB

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 01-22-2021 15:37
    Hi Eileen,
    Thank you so much for engaging with the community members and getting their perspectives.
    We're reaching out to our Human Ethics (IRB) customers; hope they'll be able to get you an answer soon.
    Best
    Colette

Colette Akiki
    Sr. Customer Advocacy Manager
    Cayuse

• 3.  RE: Umbrella IRB

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 02-11-2021 04:48
    Edited by System 01-31-2022 06:35
    Hi Eileen,  At my former institution, we had 1 umbrella protocol that was used for one of our research groups who studied a specific population and used the umbrella for maintaining a group of previous participants who had consented to future contacts for recruitment and/or consented for their data to be used in projects under the umbrella.  Somewhat reminiscent of broad consent. We were not using Cayuse at that institution so I do not have any insight on how that protocol would have acted in this system but I am happy to talk with you about our use of that protocol if you wish.

Angela Bain, CIP, CIM
    Director, IRB Office
    Kennesaw State University

• 4.  RE: Umbrella IRB

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 02-18-2021 16:38
    Thank you @Angela Bain for your contribution to this discussion.
    @Eileen Fry-Bowers Our internal experts found University of Utah and University of Iowa's umbrella program policies online. Hope that might be helpful.
    University of Iowa requires the initial submission to be for the overarching project with modifications submitted to open and close subprojects.
    One of the items in the response from Angela addressed using umbrella protocols for participants who consented to future outreach.  The University of Utah's policy specifically prohibits using umbrella approval for that. It seems that a lot will depend on the policies the institution creates.
    Eileen, I'd be happy to connect you with our experts to understand better what types of projects or research you're looking to cover. Just let me know.

Colette Akiki
    Sr. Customer Advocacy Manager
    Cayuse