General Discussions

• 1.  NSF Proposal Submissions

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-12-2020 14:47
    Do any campuses out there use Cayuse Proposals (424) for their NSF grant application submissions (instead of Fastlane or Research.gov)? If so, how has it worked out? Do the proposals show up in Fastlane immediately? Do they show in Research.gov at all?

------------------------------
    Jonathan Lew
    ERA Officer
    University of California, Irvine

• 2.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions

Posted 10-13-2020 05:41
    They showed up via Fastlane insertion within a few minutes after Grants.gov validation.

Daniel Stoelting
    Manager for Pre-Award Services
    Virginia State University

• 3.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions

Posted 10-13-2020 06:03
    We are also considering using Cayuse for NSF submissions going forward, and we are wondering if the error checking mechanism in Cayuse is as robust as it seems to be in research.gov.

Anne Schauer
    Director of Research and Sponsored Programs
    Miami University

• 4.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-14-2020 05:30
    Yes, the Proposals validations are every bit as strict as those in research.gov.

To the question of whether to use it or not, we encourage our investigators to use Proposals whenever possible. (Right now, about the only thing we can't use it for is collaborative proposals with separate submissions.) Since NSF has announced its intention to decommission FastLane by 2022, I think it's in all our best interests to start getting PIs accustomed to using the alternatives since it won't be around for much longer.

Michael Spires
    Research Development Officer
    Oakland University
    Rochester, MI
    (he/him)
    mspires@oakland.edu

• 5.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions

Posted 10-13-2020 06:59
    Hi Jonathan,

We defer to faculty preference for submission through Cayuse S2S or Fastlane.  To date, my PI's are split pretty evenly regarding preferences.  However all use Cayuse SP for routing purposes, documentation, etc. and are very happy with the process.  If using research.gov for submission, they will generate the proposal for print, save to .pdf and upload into SP.  Once routing is complete, I will submit within research.gov or Fastlane depending on the proposal.

I did notice a delay in one submission from Cayuse. It wasn't immediately available but I did receive all grants.gov emails very quickly.  It did appear a short time later in Fastlane.

I can see all submissions and their status in research.gov.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Roxanne Smith Parks
    Lamar University

• 6.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions

Posted 10-22-2020 16:58
    Hi Jonathan (hope you are well!). We use 424/S2S for all NSF submissions. Most of the time, we have to resolve errors in FastLane (such as uploading additional NSF-specific forms) - looking forward to the FastLane decommissioning .

Marta Cenac-Mehedinti
    Director of Sponsored Research
    Azusa Pacific University

• 7.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-23-2020 10:26
    Thanks, Marta.

The problem is, FastLane has been "decommissioned" already for some NSF directorates.  We're submitting a proposal next week to BIO, so it would be extra helpful if you (or anyone else with experience and or suggestions) could report back on exactly what NSF-specific forms are a problem, since we won't be able to "fix it in FastLane."  :,-(

Thanks much!
    -Lisa

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    Lisa Churchill
    Sr. Grants Information Manager
    The Salk Institute for Biological Studies