General Discussion

• 1.  NSF Proposal Submissions (re-visited)

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-09-2021 14:05
    Good afternoon, all!

It's been a while since there were discussions about NSF submissions and a lot of information provided from NSF about the transitions. I was wondering (before we reach out to NSF directly) if anybody had received information about, or had any issues submitting regarding:

1. Biological Sciences Directorates moving completely to Research.gov and the Proposal Classification Form
    • Currently it appears that Research.gov does not include the Classification Form in the proposals, but DBS requires the majority of their solicitation responses be submitted via Research.gov or Grants.gov per DCL NSF 20-129 and has historically required the PCF for all bio submissions.
    2. The last time I submitted a proposal via Cayuse Proposals/Grants.gov was in the Fall of 2019, and it was automatically downloaded by FastLane. With the transitions from FastLane to Research.gov, has anyone received guidance on when Research.gov will begin downloading applications from Grants.gov, or if that has already started (for those that do submit via Cayuse Proposals, this may be an easier question)?

As I mentioned, we had planned to reach out to NSF directly, but it seems many institutions are already submitting NSF proposals via Cayuse Proposals, so thought I would start here.

Many thanks!
    Lyndal

------------------------------
    Lyndal Arceneaux, CRA
    Sr. Proposal Administrator I, Team Lead
    Texas A&M University
    College Station, TX
    979-862-2465

• 2.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions (re-visited)

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-10-2021 06:31
    My understanding is that BIO is getting rid of the Proposal Classification Form (huzzah!).

Michael Spires
    Research Development Officer
    Oakland University
    Rochester, MI
    (he/him)
    mspires@oakland.edu

• 3.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions (re-visited)

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 03-11-2021 05:24
    Yes, I heard the same!

Kris A. Monahan, Ph.D.
    Director Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance
    Providence College
    Providence, RI

• 4.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions (re-visited)

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 04-14-2021 13:54
    Thank you Michael and Kris! Have either of you seen confirmation about which system is currently downloading the applications (this is more relevant for pagination than anything else)?

Thank you both, again!

Lyndal Arceneaux, CRA
    Texas A&M University
    College Station, TX
    979-862-2465

• 5.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions (re-visited)

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 04-14-2021 14:00
    Hold the fort!

I submitted a question about the BIO directorate's proposal classification form to NSF's last eRA modernization forum - and the response was that while BIO had been thinking about eliminating it, they've since re-evaluated that decision and are working with the team migrating functions to research.gov to bring it back. Jean Feldman, who answered the question, didn't give a time frame for when that was likely to happen so watch their forum (and this space) for future developments!

Michael Spires
    Oakland University
    Rochester, MI
    (he/him)
    mspires@oakland.edu

• 6.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions (re-visited)

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 04-14-2021 14:28
    Woof!

Thank you for the update, Michael! Was this asked during the webinar, or after in an email? Was it recorded and available? I've been searching through my email, because I registered, but forgot that I was on vacation during the webinar.

Thanks!

Lyndal Arceneaux, CRA
    Texas A&M University
    College Station, TX
    979-862-2465

• 7.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions (re-visited)

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 04-14-2021 14:33
    They didn't take questions during the webinar; they only answered questions that were submitted by email beforehand. But yes, it was recorded. If you were registered, you should've gotten an email with the link to the recording, though it's probably available on their forum site someplace as well.

Michael Spires
    Oakland University
    Rochester, MI
    (he/him)
    mspires@oakland.edu

• 8.  RE: NSF Proposal Submissions (re-visited)

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 07-13-2021 07:55
    Howdy, all! I am circling back around to this topic relating to the BIO directorate and classification form.

1) I am curious to know how other institutions are handling this. Are all NSF submissions completed through S2S (with the exception of multi-institution collaboratives, of course), or are those not requiring a Classification Form submitted via S2S and anything to BIO submitted via Research.gov? This question may not be phrased quite right... happy to discuss further!

2) It looks like in the FAQ from NSF's March forum meeting addresses that BIO will continue to require the classification form. (Just confirming that I saw it in writing after Michael's responses).

Thanks, everyone!

Lyndal Arceneaux, CRA
    Texas A&M University
    College Station, TX
    979-862-2465