General Discussions

• 1.  Personnel - Preferred Names

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-27-2020 05:58
    Hello!
    This particular issue has come up at Ball State a couple of times and I wanted to get some perspectives.

There are some PIs who prefer a different name professionally than is their legal name, first and/or last. Our HR system forces the "legal name" on the backend and only allows for a 'preferred name' to show on the front-facing University directory. This is problematic for Cayuse because we use HR Connect to ensure our personnel records and user bank are up to date. Even if we enter in a preferred name, the next time HR Connect runs, it overwrites the manual changes we made.

GENERALLY, I have been able to catch the preferred names in reports. Proposals in 424 are easy to edit and the PIs are good about editing when they see an error. SP is different, obviously, and the record always reflects the HR legal name. And we are only human and sometimes miss a name on a report and that has caused some hurt feelings, I think. I feel it is important to ensure we are representing our PIs the way they prefer, personally and professionally.

How do others manage this?

------------------------------
    Augusta Isley
    Senior Proposal Manager
    Ball State University
    amwray@bsu.edu

• 2.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-28-2020 09:48

Great question, Augusta... and perhaps an opportunity for Cayuse/us to "get with the times!"

So far, we use the suck-it-up-buttercup model:  "I'm very sorry Dr. Tommy Smith-Jones, but since your legal name is Tamara Smith, we must reflect that in legal documents such as proposals and awards."

We've tried to be as understanding as possible in the delivery of the message (in person, if possible--we're small, after all!), and people seem to get it.

That doesn't mean it's right.

My understanding of the new Cayuse Platform model is that we may begin to create new fields on things like the IPF, so couldn't we pull reporting names from there instead of HR?

Best,

-Lisa

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    Lisa Churchill
    Sr. Grants Information Manager
    The Salk Institute for Biological Studies

• 3.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

Posted 10-28-2020 10:19
    I like that idea, Lisa.
    If I'm understanding it correctly, you're suggesting
    that when we get access to the smart forms profiles,
    we map HR Connect to the field for an Official / Legal name...
    and add another for a Professional Name or the name
    the PI wishes to use on proposals and awards.

We'd then need to ensure the Professional Name is
    used in reporting.

Do I have it right?
    Terri

Terri Hall
    Director, Research Business Intelligence
    University of Notre Dame

• 4.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-29-2020 17:35
    Exactly, Terri.  Since my institution doesn't (yet) have HR Connect (or whatever it's called/being called soon :-)  I would assume the "formal/legal" name would continue to be mapped to the profile as it appears all over SP.  We'd just need to "look back" (?) to the IPF field for reporting.

Since this is all evolving as we type, I hope the Cayuse Gurus are tuning in and may offer advice... :-)

Best,
    -Lisa

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    Lisa Churchill
    Sr. Grants Information Manager
    The Salk Institute for Biological Studies

• 5.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

CAYUSE CHAMPION
    Posted 10-29-2020 08:19
    On the other end of this process is the approval memo (or equivalent) generated when a regulatory committee (IACUC, IRB, IBC, etc.) review a protocol.  Professional and common names (legal, personal, and preferred) are needed for a variety of reasons, including when "Tommy" and "Tamara" are equivalents in practice but not used in official documents.  It's complicated too when training notifications (e.g., CITI) are imported automatically with different names from the subscription and when names have multiple parts (is it El Said or Elsaid, de la Reza or Delareza?) or are many characters long, exceeding the variable length.  For the new training records module presented during the Cayuse Conference, all of these situations - and more - need to be considered in order to be useful to us across the spectrum of the platform modules and for the agencies.

Since my days of working with Cayuse IRB and now Cayuse Animal Oversight, I've been touting an enhancement.  I think we have an opportunity to address this in 2021 for all of the stakeholders.

Bruce