General Discussions

• 1.  For Cayuse Animal Oversight -- what are best practices for showing protocols to animal research inspectors/site visitors?

Posted 04-23-2021 09:20
    Hi All,
    We are launching Cayuse Animal Oversight next month.  Given that users have to log in to Cayuse using single-sign-on at our institution, non-university people will not be able to sign on to Cayuse.  We're wondering about best practices for giving outside entities, such as AAALAC site visitors, USDA inspectors, etc. access to IACUC protocols in Cayuse.  Do you print out all the protocols from Cayuse and keep binders so that they are available for review?  Do you grant digital access somehow?
    Thanks.

------------------------------
    Caitlyn Conley
    Administrative Support
    Oakland University
    Rochester MI
    248-370-2762

• 2.  RE: For Cayuse Animal Oversight -- what are best practices for showing protocols to animal research inspectors/site visitors?

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 04-26-2021 06:30
    Hi Caity,

Our IT department creates visitor accounts for any external IACUC members (e.g., AV and unaffiliated), so they can log into Cayuse Animal Oversight through SSO. We are not AAALAC accredited or USDA registered, so that would not apply to us. However, we are PHS assured, so if OLAW were to audit our records, I would print out all requested documentation for their review. I hope this helps. Have a great week.

Sharla Miles, M.Ed., CIP
    Director, Research Compliance
    Sam Houston State University
    Huntsville, TX
    (936) 294-4875
    sharla_miles@shsu.edu

• 3.  RE: For Cayuse Animal Oversight -- what are best practices for showing protocols to animal research inspectors/site visitors?

CAYUSE CHAMPION
    Posted 04-26-2021 13:03

Caitlyn,

Thank you for asking these questions.  A how-to response is the kind of thing I would like to see in Cayuse's user help section for everyone's access.  But, allow me to tell you how I'm planning to do it.  And I know others have their approaches.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to actually share my institution's documents, but I've been thinking about it as I prepare the program description for an AAALAC site visit.

I have already made a blank protocol application by entering the very minimum amount of information (some words, spaces, and boxes checked) to satisfy "completion" of a section and to create a full example of the protocol.  I did this in the STG (training) environment, not in PRODuction.  Because the structure of the template is the same in both, I haven't used up a protocol number in PROD.

For protocols which an agency might want to review and "inspect", a PDF can be created after clicking the preview tab in the image below.  The PDFs can be made available to the team electronically.  During the restrictions of COVID, I did a few AAALAC site visits; each institution created a Dropbox or Box account for us, which contained SOPs, protocols, training records, etc. for our perusal.

Does this help?

Bruce