General Discussions

• 1.  Personnel - Preferred Names

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-27-2020 05:58
    Hello!
    This particular issue has come up at Ball State a couple of times and I wanted to get some perspectives.

There are some PIs who prefer a different name professionally than is their legal name, first and/or last. Our HR system forces the "legal name" on the backend and only allows for a 'preferred name' to show on the front-facing University directory. This is problematic for Cayuse because we use HR Connect to ensure our personnel records and user bank are up to date. Even if we enter in a preferred name, the next time HR Connect runs, it overwrites the manual changes we made.

GENERALLY, I have been able to catch the preferred names in reports. Proposals in 424 are easy to edit and the PIs are good about editing when they see an error. SP is different, obviously, and the record always reflects the HR legal name. And we are only human and sometimes miss a name on a report and that has caused some hurt feelings, I think. I feel it is important to ensure we are representing our PIs the way they prefer, personally and professionally.

How do others manage this?

------------------------------
    Augusta Isley
    Senior Proposal Manager
    Ball State University
    amwray@bsu.edu

• 2.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

Posted 10-27-2020 07:17
    Hi Augusta,

Although we do not use HR Connect, I feel your pain.

When you say the names are overwritten, I hope this means only in the PI's profile, right?  If records are being overwritten, contact Cayuse Support because that should not occur.

Here are a couple of suggestions:
    1. Do you have a list of all PI's in this situation? i.e., HR lists them differently than they prefer? If not, create one.
    2. Run a daily or weekly report of submissions and confirm that the names are accurate. If not, correct them.

This should ensure that your monthly / quarterly / annual reports list the PI names as they wish, and any awards resulting from these proposals, will also list the names as desired by the PI involved.
    Good luck,
    Terri

Terri Hall
    Director, Research Business Intelligence
    University of Notre Dame

• 3.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-28-2020 06:01
    I hadn't thought of that, but it's another reason (in my book, anyway) not to use HR Connect. We also have PIs who use names that are different from their legal names in the HR books, and I was already worried that HR Connect would overwrite the nice clean titles we've given everybody in Cayuse. Our HR records are consistent in their inconsistency, so we made the decision when we began implementation that everybody was going to get basic titles (Assistant Professor, Associate Dean, Director, etc.) That ensured consistent treatment, and I would hate to lose that, even if it would be convenient to have ranks and such automatically updated when someone is promoted or takes an administrative position.

I don't suppose there would be a way we could block out changes to certain fields?

Michael Spires
    Research Development Officer
    Oakland University
    Rochester, MI
    (he/him)
    mspires@oakland.edu

• 4.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

Posted 10-28-2020 06:30

How do you obtain salary information? Do you get that elsewhere? We went live with SP in May and are still working on HR Connect. None of our new faculty are users unless we manually enter them (either one by one or with a weekly manual load) and we have no salary information.

Carolyn

Carolyn Elliott-Farino

Director of Sponsored Programs

Kennesaw State University

cellio12@kennesaw.edu;

470-578-6381

• 5.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-28-2020 10:09
    To Terri: Correct, the records in SP are not impacted by the HR connect function, once that record is set it's done. It's the 424 personnel record that changes with the weekly HR connect process.  I was really hoping to get away from a manual process of maintaining lists of certain names. Especially since HR *does* keep preferred names on file for the University directory (the public-facing part).

To Michael: I agree, it would be helpful if we could just pull in certain fields. It's been so long since we implemented, I cannot remember how it was configured.

To Carolyn: HR connect is how we pull in salary, email addresses, ID#s, department affiliation, and titles to Cayuse 424 (now Proposals). This cuts down on having to type stuff into applications and email and IDs for reporting back to the U. This also helps keep our users accurate when new people come to the U - so we (read: me) aren't adding new personnel records all the time.

Augusta Isley
    Senior Proposal Manager
    Ball State University
    amwray@bsu.edu

• 6.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-29-2020 06:56
    We don't maintain salary information in Cayuse. When we build grant budgets, we log in to Banner to get the investigator's current institutional base salary amount.

Michael Spires
    Oakland University
    Rochester, MI
    (he/him)
    mspires@oakland.edu

• 7.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

Posted 10-29-2020 07:08

Thanks, Michael. Do you have to manually enter all new users or do you have another way to automate that?

• 8.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-30-2020 07:10
    We don't have that much turnover, so we do enter them manually (though typically we'll batch upload all the new faculty in one go at the start of the fall semester). In a really good year, we might have 30 new hires - as opposed to, say, 300, at my last job (Colorado-Boulder). It just didn't make sense for us to automate it.

Michael Spires
    Oakland University
    Rochester, MI
    (he/him)
    mspires@oakland.edu

• 9.  RE: Personnel - Preferred Names

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-30-2020 12:49
    We do use HR Connect. We configured it to pull in only our full-time faculty job codes,  no staff, yes to salary so we don't have to log into our financial system (which makes budget building in 424 much easier), no titles, no preferred naming. I'm happy to share the fields we decided to pull during implementation if that is helpful. We do not pull every field.

Sherrie Hixon
    Director, Strategic Research Initiatives & Innovation
    California State University, Northridge (CSUN)