General Discussions

• 1.  IACUC, Animal Oversight

CAYUSE CHAMPION
    Posted 01-25-2021 14:17
    Colleagues,

Recently, some of my committee members have been forgetting to correctly mark their choice of review when completing the review process.  I'm referring to Reviewer Status with FCR,  Reviewed no questions, and Reviewed with questions as shown below in the workflow page.  When I see FCR there, I then send an email for confirmation - did you mean to do that?  No, has been the reply, so I send the protocol back for correction and grab whatever comments were made.   Several steps -- anybody have a better way?

thanks,
    Bruce

• 2.  RE: IACUC, Animal Oversight

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 01-26-2021 07:44
    Hi Bruce,

I feel a trace of your pain, in that I have one member who consistently selects "Approved" (we have slightly different options for reviewer status selection), even when he has entered comments that he wants addressed.  I think it is because" Approved" is the default selection; is FCR the default selection for your IACUC?  If so, perhaps you could have Cayuse adjust the default option to one of the others, so that selecting FCR would require more intentional effort on the reviewers' part.

Retraining reviewers might be another option, but some reviewers can be like old dogs (resistant to new tricks)...

I've learned to ignore the reviewer status entries.  While this is likely not the best practice from an auditing standpoint, I'm not aware of any built-in report that would actually capture those entries, anyway (at least not in version R4i12.002)--they're for administrative staff eyes only, and only available while the request is still pending a final decision.  Also in the version we use, the selections don't impact the workflow in any way, so I never feel the need to reassign it just to have someone update their status entry.  Maybe you can just get away with the email confirmation that FCR isn't really being called, and save yourself at least 1-2 steps ;)

Cheers,
    Cheryl

------------------------------
    Cheryl Cheney
    IACUC Coordinator
    Biogen
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: IACUC, Animal Oversight

CAYUSE CHAMPION
    Posted 01-26-2021 08:04
    thanks for the response, Cheryl.

Right; only a small bit of pain, smile.  And it's mostly on the part of the reviewer who feels embarrassed by the action.  Actually, they know pretty well what to do.  Every so often a mistake is made though

I find it interesting that our versions have different options for the voting choices.  I thought they were fixed.  And, yes, I would like the order of the options rearranged to avoid this problem.  I'll look into that.

I'm not worried about an audit.  But it doesn't seem right to leave FCR in the system without a note to document the follow-up.  I'd like to see an IACUC office "notes" box on the workflow page for things like this -- even to reference an email conversation.  Something to propose to Cayuse folks, and we would probably need user support.

take care,
    Bruce