General Discussions

• 1.  Flag vs config change

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-08-2020 12:22
    Hi folks,

We're considering how to mark limited-submission proposals so that we can track and alert the Appointments Committee (who makes the nomination recommendation) when they're successful.  The way I see it, we could request a flag (which could sit "on top of" a proposal instrument type of Grant or Fellowship--because the award would be one of those and we might like to keep the granularity), or we could request a config change to add a type such as "Limited Submission".

Looking forward, I'm wondering if our choice now may have implications for the new release.  I understand we will be able to define instances of "notification emails" if certain conditions are met: say, if such a nominated proposal had a status change to "awarded", email ApCom.

My question, then, is will these notification emails be able to parse flags as well as other proposal/award attributes?

Are there other ways of looking at this?  Does anybody do some form of this now?

Thanks for your consideration!

Best,
    -Lisa

------------------------------
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    Lisa Churchill
    Sr. Grants Information Manager
    The Salk Institute for Biological Studies

• 2.  RE: Flag vs config change

Posted 10-08-2020 12:32
    Hi Lisa,
    Good questions!

We use the Program Name on the Proposal's General screen to track limited submission programs and others we wish to track such as the early career/young investigator programs.
    All the best,
    Terri

Terri Hall
    Director, Research Business Intelligence
    University of Notre Dame

• 3.  RE: Flag vs config change

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-09-2020 12:40
    Hi Lisa,

We have a flag for limited submissions, which we can then quickly search from our project dashboard. I would expect this to function when we upgrade, but would also be interested to know if this might change on the new platform.
    Sherrie

Sherrie Hixon
    Director, Strategic Research Initiatives & Innovation
    California State University, Northridge (CSUN)

• 4.  RE: Flag vs config change

Posted 10-10-2020 09:53
    Lisa brings up an interesting question about functionality planned for the new system.

" I understand we will be able to define instances of "notification emails" if certain conditions are met: say, if such a nominated proposal (one with an attached flag) had a status change to "awarded",

My question, then, is will these notification emails be able to parse flags as well as other proposal/award attributes?"

As I understand it, we will be able to configure emails that would be sent during the proposal routing for initial approvals. However, flags are currently set administratively, and for us at the end of proposal routing, implying emails would need to be triggered on proposals in these statuses "Admin Office", "PS/CS Review", "Proposal Approved", etc.

On the new platform, will we be able to configure emails that are triggered on a status changed and based on a combination of proposal attributes (flags, instrument, admin dept, etc)?

Jeanne

Jeanne Hermann
    Assistant Vice Chancellor
    University of Tennessee-System Office

• 5.  RE: Flag vs config change

Posted 10-13-2020 17:23

Hello all,
    I'm just going to jump in from a Sponsored Projects new functionality perspective. There are two parts to this discussion that I want to address - 1. What will we be able to use as a "trigger" to send notifications or require reviews? and 2. How will Flags come into play?

1. In Sponsored Projects (new), Email Notifications and Review Rules are based on responses to questions in your Form.  So as I'm building my form, I might include a question that reads: Is this a limited submission?  Then in my Rule Builder, I might add a rule that would send an email notification (to use Lisa's example) to my Appointments Committee when someone answers Yes to that question.  This also allows for data concerning, in this case, limited submissions, to be tracked, recorded, and eventually reported on because that was a unique data element on the form I built. Which actually leads me to the second point:

2. How will Flags come into play?  Well, to be honest, they may not come into play in Sponsored Projects.  Flags were introduced in SP because we needed a way for institutions to be able to tag or mark certain records as meeting specific conditions because, as we know, we are somewhat limited with what we can configure in SP.  There wasn't a "home" for a lot of the data you all wanted to capture and SP just doesn't lend itself to purely user-defined fields.  So, we intentionally made a design decision in Sponsored Projects to allow institutions to capture any and all data that is important to them and to do it in a way that could be easily reported on and could respond well to change over time.

Now having said that, this is something that I'll be talking with our Customer Advisory Board tomorrow and would really like everyone's opinions on: If, in this new world, you'll be able to configure your forms to capture any data that is important to you, and track and report on that data, would you still want or need a Flags feature? If so, under what circumstances would you want to use it?  Remember that Flags as we're talking about them would be Administrator-applied attributes or data that could be included on Proposal, Award, Project, Subcontract, and Account Records.

Feel free to respond here with your thoughts or we can start a new thread to not overtake the original question.
    Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly Morgan
    Product Manager, Pre-Award
    Cayuse