General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Students in Cayuse

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-07-2021 10:20
    Has anyone done a bulk load of students into Cayuse 424 - or whatever it's called on the Platform?  When we first started using the Cayuse pre-award modules, we only loaded potentially eligible PIs - so faculty and some categories of staff.  For us, students are rarely eligible PIs, and when they have to be, we just manually enter their information.  One at a time, it's been easy enough to manage.

And yet.... we could streamline our documentation of RCR training (linkages between CITI and Cayuse) and even effort reporting if we put the students in.  I'm thinking some sort of "View Only" access; we'll assign roles such that we can see their CITI training documentation but does not allow the student to have edit authority on the proposal.  So, that's the one hand.

The other hand is.... the students on grant awards change All.The.Time.  So, our information is likely to/guaranteed to become outdated pretty quickly.  So, if you do have students in Cayuse, how do you figure that out?  My goal is to reduce PI administrative burden.  So, sure I can ask the PI; that's what I'm doing now.  (Well, the Grants and Contracts Officers ask....)  What I want is for the documentation to simply appear without us having to bug the PI - more than once, of course, because this is real life.  If we can figure it out, this linkage would be just another way that we get out of the way of the research while still maintaining a high standard for compliance.

The other other-hand  is whether or not that's just too many people in the database.  What kind of clean-up of your database do you do - when faculty move on, but also all these students I'm thinking about adding in?  They're going to graduate before we turn around....

I think I've gone down the rabbit hole.  Someone get me out ;)

Andrea

------------------------------
    Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 2.  RE: Students in Cayuse

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-08-2021 06:40
    Hi Andrea,

I have used the bulk load option in Cayuse 424 (now called Proposals), but I've only used it for adding students, so they have access to our Human Ethics (IRB) application system. I only must do this on the rare occasions when our students are not captured through our HR Connect process (this is the data extract process set up between our IT department and Cayuse). The only time I know when students are eligible to be PIs on grants is if they are pursuing a doctoral fellowship with a federal agency (e.g., NSF, NIH, etc.). You may want to consider entering into that data extract agreement between Cayuse and your IT folks as this will help eliminate the need for bulk loading students on a regular basis. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Sharla Miles, M.Ed., CIP
    Director, Research Compliance
    Sam Houston State University
    Huntsville, TX
    (936) 294-4875
    sharla_miles@shsu.edu

• 3.  RE: Students in Cayuse

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-08-2021 17:24

Sorry, Andrea, I fear I'm going to take us both further down with the White Rabbit...

The question you raise has been my concern all along with adding HR Connect (which we plan with the upgrade to the Platform).  Students/postdocs/etc come and go, and if they enter and leave the HR database, I presume they'll enter and leave Cayuse likewise(?), but I'd like some confirmation from folks who already use it as to how that happens in terms of what we see.  And what then is different when the occasional student submits a proposal and then leaves?  I'd assume it's like any past submission, they just stay on it, even if they're no longer affiliated?

Our IT people say you can't have "too many people in the database" because of the latest technologies with storage.  But I can imagine it makes pick lists... long.  Any other insights out there?

Hey, at least the week's more than half over now!

cheers,
    -Lisa

Lisa Churchill
    Grants Administration Manager/Signing Official
    The Salk Institute for Biological Studies

• 4.  RE: Students in Cayuse

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-09-2021 07:47
    Hi Lisa,
    You raise a great point about system users (both employees and students) leaving Cayuse once they separate from the university or college either by graduation or by some other means. I have not tested that theory yet, but I do know that once an employee leaves my institution, they do lose access to all privileges, and that includes access to Cayuse, since we have SSO in place. This should also apply to students as well. I don't think the profiles are deleted per se, but the access is lost. I hope this helps.

Sharla

Sharla Miles, M.Ed., CIP
    Director, Research Compliance
    Sam Houston State University
    Huntsville, TX
    (936) 294-4875
    sharla_miles@shsu.edu

• 5.  RE: Students in Cayuse

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-09-2021 09:38
    Sharla,

With SSO, a user will definitely will lose access to Cayuse of they cannot log on to the school network.   We have had a couple of instances where a PI left the institution and the project was to transfer to a new PI.   Unfortunately, this person was the only listed PC/PI on the application -  other researchers names were listed, but not as investigators.  This essentially locked the entire study since the only person who could add a new PI no longer had access to the network and could not pass the SSO.  Their Cayuse profile is still listed, but I assume if we deactivate it in 424, it will no longer appear in the People Search.

Matt Zembrzuski
    Research Compliance Manager
    American University

• 6.  RE: Students in Cayuse

Posted 09-10-2021 07:34
    Lisa,
    We use HR Connect.  Perhaps it's just the way we have it set up, but once students, post-docs, etc. are in Cayuse they stay in Cayuse.  In my early adoption days I thought I was being clever by going in and deleting the users who left the university.  I quickly found out that was definitely NOT a good way to go and had to put them all back in.  To echo Matt's comments, using SSO once they leave the university they would no longer have access.

Colette

Colette Solpietro
    Senior Assistant Director, Office of Research Services
    Texas Tech University

• 7.  RE: Students in Cayuse

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-09-2021 09:45
    I usually do a bulk load each year of graduate students entering our Psychology program, as they will most likely need to write an IRB application before they graduate.  I do  NOT assign them to a unit, which quickly identifies them as non faculty or staff.  The only fields I assign for them are first and last name, username, and email address.  They cannot apply for their own grants, it must be routed via a faculty member, and we also require a faculty PI on all IRB applications.

I must confess we have not figured out a best way to deactivate students (or faculty for that matter) who are long gone from this institution. I am hopeful that the transition to the new platform will eventually have a solution if it does not already.

After six years, we have had a couple of occasions of users having similar names to cause confusion.  I suppose in time this will be more common.

Matt Zembrzuski
    Research Compliance Manager
    American University

• 8.  RE: Students in Cayuse

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-09-2021 10:03
    That's where I'm leaning right now -  adding the students from our most research-active departments.  That will get us pretty far, I think.

A

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 9.  RE: Students in Cayuse

Posted 09-10-2021 06:16
    Andrea,
    No, we chose not to bulk load the students.  As you said, they are rarely eligible to be PIs.  There are just way too many of them and I didn't want those never-used profiles taking up space unnecessarily.  They are entered manually -- particularly by our IRB team.  For any other proposals that involve funding for a particular student we include their name in the title in parentheses.

Colette

Colette Solpietro
    Senior Assistant Director, Office of Research Services
    Texas Tech University