General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Revised Budgets at Proposal Stage

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-08-2021 07:48

All,

I am wondering how you handle revised proposal budgets in Cayuse, especially those where the proposal was not submitted S2S.

For example, we submitted a proposal that was routed through Cayuse for approvals, and they have kindly agreed to add some additional funding given an emergency that has come up with some equipment.  The original award is still pending with the sponsor, and I think they will make one award for the total amount.

We can of course update the amounts in Cayuse and add some notes about the changes, but won't be able to reroute for approvals; we can do that via email.  Do you change the proposal status as well to reflect that the original proposal was revised, and, if so, to what?  Resubmitted?

Thanks!

Pam

Pamela A. (Krauser) Vargas
    Director
    Office of Research and Sponsored Programs

Southeast Missouri State University

One University Plaza, MS0125

Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

pvargas@semo.edu

• 2.  RE: Revised Budgets at Proposal Stage

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-09-2021 10:08
    We don't change the budget in Cayuse, under the circumstances you describe.  That first budget, the one that routed, remains as a snapshot of the submission.  When we have a revision at award - or somewhere around that time- we make (yet) another budget in Excel and this one is called Budget_Revision at Award.  That gets attached to the record.  If we REALLY need to route it, we put it in a new Cayuse record linked to the first one - but that's not the happieset choice.  I reserve that for when the budget was cut a lot, and we have to either revise the scope or somebody's now on the hook for voluntary uncommitted cost-share.  Identifying that "somebody" and locking that down would be the point of the second route.  If the budget has gone up, we make lots of celebratory noise in the direction of the Chair and the Dean, but we don't re-route.

------------------------------
    Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 3.  RE: Revised Budgets at Proposal Stage

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-09-2021 10:27
    I'm jumping on the Andrea bandwagon.  The proposal is done and gone, so we don't change it.  We upload budget(s) with appropriate long names as Andrea suggested, and we have a proposal status of JIT that we use for any proposal that requires updates Just-In-Time (not just NIH, that is), and tells people that this proposal is quite likely to be funded.  We're also big users of the "Notes" tab.

cheers,
    -Lisa

Lisa Churchill
    Grants Administration Manager/Signing Official
    The Salk Institute for Biological Studies

• 4.  RE: Revised Budgets at Proposal Stage

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-09-2021 11:01
    I have a bandwagon???  MOST excellent.  Is there food?

A

Andrea Buford
    Oakland University

• 5.  RE: Revised Budgets at Proposal Stage

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-09-2021 11:03
    To return us to the point, I DO love the Submission Notes and we use the heck out of that.

A

Andrea Buford
    Oakland University

• 6.  RE: Revised Budgets at Proposal Stage

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 09-09-2021 14:51
    Similarly, at UCI, we don't edit the submitted Cayuse application since that's what was officially submitted. We don't use Cayuse for routing, instead we use another third party system - so we make the update in that system and include a bunch of notes.

Jonathan Lew
    ERA Officer
    University of California, Irvine