General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Reports and Statistics

Posted 10-12-2021 13:29
    Hi, all!  I'm trying to make it my business to do more with collecting stats and create reports from the information we're putting into Cayuse.  I'd be interested in hearing (and seeing) about the types of reports you run and the stats you collect.  We have an annual report of achievements where we provide the following:

• PIs name
    • Department
    • Sponsor
    • Name of Project
    • Amount of proposed amount or award for that particular fiscal year
    • Begin/End Date
    • Proposed or Award Amount
    • Proposed or Award Date
    We have SP and 424.  Are you collecting similar information?  What other info are you collecting?  My supervisor would like me to be able to project the amount of IDC we would be receiving in a fiscal year.  She'd like to be able to use that as a way to revise our incentive program for the faculty/staff who have grants.  Is there anyone else out there doing this or something similar?  I'm interested in whatever types of reports you all are running that you have found to be informative and hopefully easy to run using Cayuse.

------------------------------
    Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Assistant Dean for OSP + Research Svcs
    Gallaudet University

• 2.  RE: Reports and Statistics

Posted 10-12-2021 13:48
    Hi Audrey,

Please take a look at the Customer Corner > Data Connect Meetings area of this community. There you'll find records from 5 institutions on the data products they've created and what they are doing to report on Cayuse data.  Many ideas there !
    All the best,
    Terri

Terri Hall
    Director, Research Business Intelligence
    University of Notre Dame
    thall2@nd.edu

• 3.  RE: Reports and Statistics

Posted 10-12-2021 13:51
    Awesome and thanks!  -- alwf

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 4.  RE: Reports and Statistics

STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-13-2021 12:38
    Thanks for pointing this out, Terri.  I will also take a look at it.

I am trying to 'reform' our reporting to make it more meaningful and more efficient.  After losing an admin with 21+ years in the office, we need to find new ways of doing things that don't require lots of institutional memory and intervention.  :-)

Pamela Vargas
    Director, Research & Grant Development
    Southeast Missouri State University

• 5.  RE: Reports and Statistics

Posted 10-13-2021 13:53
    Yes, indeed, Pamela.  I just lost someone with 11 years experience.  Having a system that has some form of institutional memory is critical. We have an annual report of achievements due and it's been difficult to do with two new research administrators.  They're great, but they're learning. And I have a new supervisor who knows a thing or two about Cayuse and expects us to be able to run reports at her request.  That's the reason I got Cayuse, but I never had a supervisor who was adept at Cayuse and also wanted to be able to access it at any time to run accurate reports.  There's all kinds of reasons I could say why we're not there yet, ehem, covid, but bottom line we need to get adept at getting what we need out of the modules we have/need.  -- alwf

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 6.  RE: Reports and Statistics

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-13-2021 06:27
    We do a weekly report for ourselves, Business Managers in the departments, the VPR... regarding proposals submitted that week, awards received that week, and tracking that against the same week last year.  That said, a week is too granular for meaningful comparison, so the whole month sits on Excel spreadsheet with weekly tabs (does that make sense?)  That way an over-zealous Dean doesn't berate his faculty (yes this happens, and yes it's a "him") for falling behind last year's totals, when the data don't really support that.  Monthly reports go to Chairs, Deans, the VPR, and the Provost.

We are also trying - at the very beginning of this bit of culture change- to create a climate where a PI's lab could and should have multiple grants and contracts, all working on pieces of the large question under consideration for that lab/PI.  So, we track grants/person, as well as funded faculty/number of faculty overall (for an internal measure of "research activity" - not a GREAT proxy for that, but it's easy, so...)  We're also just starting to track who's got a grant that's ending in the next little while.  We want this notice out there in time for the research development staff to know to touch base because it could be time for another flurry of grant proposals from this person.  We've got more.  We're data junkies ;)  For example, we had Key Performance Indicators given to us.  They are actually not great as indicators of research activity, but there you are.  They come from the President, so now we care a lot about those numbers.  Clearly, we're tracking those things as well.

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 7.  RE: Reports and Statistics

Posted 10-13-2021 07:12
    Andrea, thanks for this response!  What modules are you using in Cayuse to track this information?  I'm in talks with Cayuse right now about what we want to report on but just not sure yet that we have the modules needed to get what we want.  -- alwf

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 8.  RE: Reports and Statistics

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10-13-2021 08:08
    We have SP, 424, IRB, IACUC, and almost Fund Manager.  But really, we're only reporting out of SP and 424 at this point.  I have big plans for Fund Manager, but we haven't quite gone live with it yet.  And then we have to live with it for a while to make sure we're collecting data in the ways we need to.  It'll be a while before we're facile enough with it to fully utilize it - if that makes sense.

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University