General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Cayuse Implementation

Posted 04-27-2021 12:33
    Edited by Weldon George 04-28-2021 10:53
    Hi Everyone, we are about to start the process of implementing Cayuse Human Ethic at my institution. I was wondering if anyone here would be open to speaking with me about their experience and the time commitment involved. Our office is very small staff in terms of staffing and I will most likely work on this with minimal help.

------------------------------
    Weldon George
    Research Compliance Manager
    Texas Christian University
    Ft. Worth TX
    817-257-5070

• 2.  RE: Cayuse Implementation

Posted 04-28-2021 04:52
    Hi, Weldon- that was my specific situation when we began our implementation some months ago. I serve as the Human Protections Administrator at our institution and I also had oversight our IRB. At the time I recommended we move to Cayuse, we were using an Excel spreadsheet to track projects, and with a move toward submitting NIH grants I felt we needed a better system.

The implementation went quite well. There were a series of meetings with members of Cayuse, initially to gather information on need and breadth of use, and then to help us understand the workings of the system. The training with Vicky King went off well- each session ran between 90-120 minutes, and involved just myself, Vicky and our IRB chair, also named Dana. I had to do some work on my own, notably in creating a list of users, with specific requirements for that list, as we could not use a single sign-on at the beginning of our involvement. That took me around 90 minutes to develop- and later you do need to provide a bit of a more extensive spreadsheet, involving a number of pages- but this was also not difficulty to create; it just took time.

We went live only a few weeks ago and today have 2 projects in the system. Help has been quite fast when asked for (from Matty Gilreath), and I did have to ask. So far, so very good.

Hope this helps.

Dana Lawrence
    Associate Provost for Research and Education
    Parker University
    TX

• 3.  RE: Cayuse Implementation

Posted 04-28-2021 10:58
    Hi, Dana- Thank you so much for sharing with me. I appreciate it. I am very excited to make this transition and hearing others' experiences help to calm my mind. Very helpful. Thank you- Weldon

Weldon George
    Research Compliance Manager
    Ft. Worth TX

• 4.  RE: Cayuse Implementation

Posted 04-28-2021 11:31
    Happy to be of help, Weldon- you are just down the road. We are at Parker Univ here in Dallas!

Dana

Dana Lawrence
    Associate Provost for Research and Education
    Parker University
    TX

• 5.  RE: Cayuse Implementation

SPEAKER
    Posted 04-28-2021 06:25
    Hi Weldon,

I would be happy to speak with you regarding Cayuse Human Ethics. We are a small office as well at Lamar University and I would be happy to help.

Beverly Kemp
    eRA Research Coordinator
    Lamar University
    TX

• 6.  RE: Cayuse Implementation

Posted 04-28-2021 07:01
    Hi Weldon,

We are also a small institution with a small human subjects office.  We implemented Cayuse about 2 years ago and I'd be happy to talk to you about the experience and process.

Best,
    Ann

Ann Waterbury, MBA, CIM

Director, Human Subjects Protection Program
    University of South Dakota

605-658-3767 | ann.waterbury@usd.edu

www.usd.edu/humansubjects

Ann Waterbury
    Director, Human Subject Protection Program
    University of South Dakota
    Vermillion SD