General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Disclosure requirements for US scientists–vital security or onerous admin?

Posted 05-13-2021 12:46
    Edited by Adam Mertz 06-02-2021 20:19
    Recently, federal agencies announced the expansion of disclosure requirements for the scientists they fund in response to a new research security policy from the White House.  We've been keeping tabs on recent policy changes in Washington that directly affect research organizations, and NSPM-33 could have a significant impact on administrative burden. What have you heard about NSPM-33? How will this change affect your organization?

Check out our blog post about the changes and their impact on our website.

------------------------------
    Barbara Weiss
    Brand & Communications Manager
    Cayuse
    Portland OR

• 2.  RE: Disclosure requirements for US scientists–vital security or onerous admin?

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 05-18-2021 09:28
    Personally, I'm pretty firmly in the "onerous admin" camp.  (I'm getting t-shirts made!)  But I do understand that we have to/want to protect our IP and our researchers.  I just want to be the person in the meetings standing firmly in support of robust collaboration and  the exchange of ideas, while loudly NOT in support of creating a culture where risk mitigation looks like tattle-taling on your colleagues.  My "solution" (which is not quite a solution yet) is to be the one to call the meetings - to be the person with the information.  That person sets the tone....*Andrea whistles innocently*..... and even to some extent decides who else is in the room.  So, I'm the one who went to the President's Cabinet with this issue.... "look here, there's this thing we need to address"  I framed it proactively, since we're well under the $50 million theshold that NSPM-33 references.  The framework that they mandate isn't a bad one, even for smaller institutions.

That said, our federal liaison guy seems to think that the Biden administration will replace NSPM-33 with something better - but they don't want to repeal it until they have the replacement.  I have no idea if he's right, but I'm just working with that for right now.

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University
    Rochester MI