General Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  PI Selfservice - what does that look like as far as things they have access too and financial reports. examples maybe

Posted 11-24-2021 16:32
    We at CHOC are just now implementing SP and FM moving over from ITW.

We want to provide a self-service process for our PIs so they can manage their own projects as far as action items and any of the financials.

So what kind of reports can be provided to the PI?   Are they standard or need to be custom built?

Any insight would be very much appreciated.   Examples would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Richard

------------------------------
    Richard Chamberlain
    Project Manager
    Children's Hospital of Orange County - CHOC

• 2.  RE: PI Selfservice - what does that look like as far as things they have access too and financial reports. examples maybe

TEAM CAYUSE
    Posted 12-01-2021 13:11

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're asking about, but this recent thread might be helpful with some folks sharing how much self-serve they allow their PIs to do, at least with uploading proposals.

Simon Helton
    He/him
    Community Manager
    Cayuse

• 3.  RE: PI Selfservice - what does that look like as far as things they have access too and financial reports. examples maybe

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 12-01-2021 15:46
    As for reports routinely available to PIs, they can only get reports about their proposals and awards - no trolling to see who has the highest award in the department or any of that nonsense.  That said, they can get proposals submitted, proposals awarded, review their NOA, etc on the SP side.  We put report due dates into Events (and by "we" I mean one of the long-suffering GCOs) and they can check those for upcoming events if they're worried about it.  In Fund Manager, they can run burn rates - although 99% of the time we will do that for them.  They can do if this-then that projections of expenses.  They can see if expenses have hit, and if equipment purchases are encumbered.  Chairs and Deans can do pretty much the same thing, but they can also see upcoming proposls on the SP side - which they seem to care about a lot which kind of surprised me.  They can also see proposals and awards for everything in their units.  They can run the same reports as PIs on the Fund Manager side, with the addition of F&A return.  They all get a weekly list of proposals out the door in the last week, awards received last week and another one comparing July 1-YTD for this year with the same time period last fiscal year.  Does that help?  I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of it off the top of my head....

A

Andrea Buford
    Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
    Oakland University

• 4.  RE: PI Selfservice - what does that look like as far as things they have access too and financial reports. examples maybe

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 12-03-2021 07:38
    While our PIs "can" see in SP all those things Andrea mentions, we've found they don't choose to do so; they use SP strictly for processing the IPF (dotting i's, crossing t's...).  They love 424 (we haven't migrated to SP4/Proposals-S2S) and are quite comfortable preparing all but the budget there (their assigned Grant Administrator finalizes that after receiving the budget justification).  As for the reporting, what's available in SP (we don't have FM) wasn't sufficiently granular for our needs, so we've begun building our own from the robust data SP does provide.  Our PIs "don't go looking for trouble" and basically wait for their Research Accountant to let them know if their burn rate isn't appropriate, for instance.  They DO appreciate our preparation of a draft Other Support document (that looks exactly like the new format), to which they must add any resource of which we're unaware.

cheers,
    -Lisa

Lisa Churchill
    Director, Grants Administration
    The Salk Institute for Biological Studies