General Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

• 1.  Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-23-2021 10:01
    Good Friday afternoon!  Does your institution use Cayuse to house both federal and private grants?  Currently, our sponsored programs office uses Cayuse and our Development Office uses Razor's Edge, I  believe. When it comes time to gather information that needs to include federal, private, non-profit grants, I find we are collecting information differently and it makes for a cumbersome process.  Is anyone's Development Office entering information into Cayuse so that information is housed in one single place?

------------------------------
    Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Assistant Dean for OSP + Research Svcs
    Gallaudet University

• 2.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-24-2021 08:15
    Hi Audrey,

I experience the same frustration because our development team also uses Razor's Edge, and they collect and compile data differently from OSP. It becomes a challenge when reporting out on all these funding sources. It would be great to find out if there are development teams that are using Cayuse.

Nichelle Edwards
    Director, Office Sponsored Programs
    The Chicago School of Professional Psychology

• 3.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-24-2021 11:39
    Glad to know I'm not alone.  Thanks!  Looks like Megan has more of the set up I'd like to see at my institution.

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 4.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 08-25-2021 08:59
    Hi Audrey,

We actually piloted our advancement team on Cayuse, but fairly quickly realized it would not work for them. They use Razor's Edge and have a higher need to maintain notes and relationship details with their sponsors. Where we might have one sponsor in the database for Wells Fargo Bank, they have ~50 branches, for example. We do process all grants that have anything to do with research or sponsored programs, however, including those from corporate entities, nonprofits, and NGOs (plus federal, state, local, and other university). To keep advancement looped in, I provide a quarterly report of all non-public proposals and awards so they can follow the agencies who are engaged in the work. Hope this information is helpful.

Sherrie Hixon
    Director, Strategic Research Initiatives & Innovation
    California State University, Northridge (CSUN)

• 5.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-25-2021 09:13
    Sherrie, glad to know how this did not work out.  So up to a point sponsored programs inputs corporate entities, etc into Cayuse and then provides a report to Development?  Is that what I'm understanding?  Thanks for this.  It's helpful.

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 6.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

RISING STAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 08-25-2021 09:52
    Yes, RSP will process them but only if those corporate entities are providing grants, sponsoring programs, and have staff/faculty involvement in projects. We do not track gifts, scholarships, endowments, or other similar donations.

Sherrie Hixon
    Director, Strategic Research Initiatives & Innovation
    California State University, Northridge (CSUN)

• 7.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-25-2021 09:57
    Got it...thanks!

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 8.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-24-2021 08:39
    All grants, whether federal or private, go through our sponsored projects office and will go into Cayuse (we are in implementation right now). Our Development tracks private grants, but doesn't administer them. They manage gifts & donations.

Megan Roth
    Executive Director of Research
    Abilene Christian University

• 9.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-24-2021 11:38
    This is the model I was hoping for, but so far no good. Thanks for the feedback.

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 10.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-24-2021 15:34
    As a Solutions Consultant and former research admin, I love hearing these use cases for Cayuse's configurable proposal and award forms. They really can be configured for federal awards, industry and foundation research all in one place with meaningful reporting.

Matthew Kingore
    Solutions Consultant
    Cayuse

• 11.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-25-2021 09:16
    That's what I was envisioning, but I'm wondering how the Development folks deal with the functions that are in Razor's Edge that are not in Cayuse.  As Sherrie mentioned, the notes and documentation of relationship-building probably works better in Razor's Edge.  I've never been in Razor's Edge....hmmm.

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 12.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-24-2021 10:45
    I believe that our setup is the same. Our Foundation uses Razor's Edge. It would be helpful and simpler to have the same program for both functions - federal/external grants and internal grants/awards. Definitely something to think about moving forward. It would be a cost savings for the organization, as well. I would be very interested in learning more about if other organizations use Cayuse for their internal private grants.

Tammy Jobes
    Sponsored Projects Administrator
    Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare

• 13.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-24-2021 11:41
    Thanks for your response.  Yes, I'd like to know of others who use Cayuse for federal, private, non profit, etc. grants instead of the great divide that exists for many of us between sponsored programs and development.  I'd like some examples to share with those at my institution to show how it works.  Baby steps...

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 14.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

SUPERSTAR CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 08-25-2021 09:02
    We, too, have historically had different... tracks for bona fide investigator-initiated grants and scholar awards (be they federal, voluntary health, or private) and private foundation "asks".  There is some grey area, and if the project has an effort requirement of the PI, we often put it into Cayuse (if we're given the details) to help us keep track of PI Other Support.  Additionally, we have a data warehouse that takes the Data Connect information and merges it with Research Accounting (Banner) data to try and get a fuller picture.  But now we're trying something new: there is a job posting currently active (posted in the Connect Community) that will hopefully bridge some of this divide.  The person will ultimately report to the development office, but will be trained in our particular ways of budgeting, grants administration, and tracking (including Cayuse) by us (Grants Development).

We're hoping it can be the "best of both worlds!"

cheers,
    -Lisa

Lisa Churchill
    Grants Administration Manager/Signing Official
    The Salk Institute for Biological Studies

• 15.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-25-2021 09:22
    Wow, what a bridge that will be! Research Accounting in Banner.  Hmmm...I wonder if PeopleSoft or Workday (I think we're moving to this) have something similar?  Thanks for your input.

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University

• 16.  RE: Sponsored Programs and the Development Office

Posted 08-25-2021 09:20
    Good point regarding the cost savings.  Is the cost-savings related to having everything in Cayuse and doing away with Razor's Edge or were there other cost savings you were thinking of?

Audrey Wineglass Foster
    Gallaudet University